Friday, November 7, 2008

Confrontation

I have been thinking about some confrontation that has been in my life. It seems like today that any time that others have any opinion other than your own it is immediately considered an attack and the standard opportunity procedure is just to defend. Aquinas said, "We must love them both-- those whose opinion we share and those whose opinions we reject. For both have labored in the search for truth and both have helped us in the finding of it." Thus, often if another has a differing opinion it could be used to strengthen your current position, but it also could be an opportunity to refine your stance. Am I even willing to consider that I need refining.... R U?

1 comment:

Joe said...

That's why arguing isn't necessarily an exercise in futility, like my wife suggests. I've even gotten Rauser to admit he was wrong... once.